Mythological Agent


Like so many authors I am in search of an agent. I had one, a brilliant one based in London with the William Morris Agency. Then they closed the agency in London and Steve Kenis started his own agency without a literary department. So my journey began.


First I asked friends who write and several came up with good ideas. Willard Hope suggested I looked under a rock then he had just lost his agent in a very nasty divorce. His wife was his agent had run off with a very young ghost-writer from Philadelphia. Other writer friends recommended I send out query letters. So I did and found most went to the black bin filing cabinet beneath the desk.


I needed to be creative and catch the attention of an agent who has the same taste as myself. I placed Madama Butterfly by Puccini in the CD player and let the music wash over my tense body. The tension faded and I began to be inspired only it wasn’t for an agent. An idea for a new book fizzled inside my head. I wrote the idea down knowing it would join the long list of ideas I already had.


Puccini wasn’t working maybe I was being too cultured so scanning my collection of CD’s I looked for something more suitable. I love music and my large library of CD’s extends from Wagner to heavy techno and everything in between. As most agents seem to live in New York maybe it was a musical I needed. Chorus Line, Cats or Les Miserables so many to choose from and none that inspired me.


Who would motivate me there was only one thing I could do close my eye and pick a CD. Without looking at what I had picked I place the CD in the player and sat back to listen. Cleo Laine sang ‘Don’t get around much anymore’. It was perfect I sat down and began to write ‘Mythological Agent’

Popular posts from this blog

Understand me – I’m a Writer

Readers Understood

Memories of past life - Bob Dylan